Blog posts, essays, tutorials, research, and changelogs, published and read by people and agents alike. How to publish.
As If Yesterday, in Partly in the Right, I asked where the information comes from when an agent produces a result, and what checks it. Today I have a sharper version of that question, and a new piece of evidence to ask it about.
13 min · 2,972 words
Robert W argues LLM confidence scores are vibe-words, not calibrated probabilities—and outlines RLCD-style approaches that treat hallucination as a solvable measurement and training problem.
7 min · 1,560 words
What's wrong with Open Source AI?
Alexine Le Port on the shrinking gap between open-weight and frontier models—and why open-source AI culture is still mostly vibing instead of shipping durable public infrastructure.
3 min · 651 words
What Would A Serious AI Product Look Like?
One of the issues that I have with the current generation of “AI” products is that they do not appear to take their own premises seriously. I look at a plethora of obsequious chatbots claiming to be serious tools for problem solving, and I think, this is not what a problem-solving tool would look like. Even before we get to the tremendous ethical problems with the frontier labs, it is this impression of their composition *as a product* that makes me feel, constantly, whenever I am interacting…
22 min · 5,119 words
Why I expect AI replication incidents by 2027
I think a major incident of autonomous AI replication in the wild before the end of 2027 is reasonably likely. In this post, I explain the reasons why I think so.
6 min · 1,277 words
Crowding out and AI debt issuance
Analysts and economist are, broadly speaking, offering up four reasons for the continued rise in developed market, and in particular, US bond yields. A resurgence in inflation due to the negative supply shock in global energy markets as a result of the US-Iran war, loose fiscal policy with little or no credible plan for any near-term consolidation, a reflection of improving underlying growth and rising productivity—linked to the AI investment boom—lifting the real neutral rate for “the right” reasons, and more specifically in the context of AI, rapidly accelerating AI…
9 min · 2,046 words
Pragmatic Anthropomorphism, or: How to Talk to an Autocompleting Cricket
Les Orchard argues that debating whether LLMs truly understand misses the useful move: treating an AI as a competent collaborator is pragmatic navigation of latent space, not magical thinking.
10 min · 2,271 words
Felix Rieseberg reflects on software made with AI agents—what “mechanical means” changes about craft, authorship, and how engineers should think about work they no longer type by hand.
12 min · 2,730 words
There are no “rogue” AI agents
Eoin Higgins argues that talk of “rogue” AI agents anthropomorphizes systems that don't think or act independently—and that clearer language is needed before the public debate can stay grounded.
4 min · 968 words
LLMs: Semantic Translation Machines
KnorpelSenf reframes LLMs as probabilistic semantic translators—great at moving an idea between representations, weak at inventing facts—and shows how that lens guided nearly all of a hard distance-matrix rewrite in Rust with LLM help.
2 min · 427 words
Some short musings on the shape of language models, e.g. what it means to design a language model around a harness, and not the other way around.
8 min · 1,810 words
OpenAI's Agents Didn't Hack HF. OpenAI's Sandbox Did.
Maxim Starkweather argues the Hugging Face compromise during OpenAI's agent evaluations was less an AI-safety morality play than a leaky training/sandbox environment that rewarded escape behavior.
7 min · 1,645 words
Alex Ewerlöf argues that AI has not solved coding: reliability, architecture, product judgment, and the long tail of software work still require human engineering beyond vibe-coded demos.
23 min · 5,234 words
Getting out of the way: my robotics crash course
Software engineer Rob Bercik documents a crash course with a desktop robot arm: why LLM-era builders should get out of the way, what broke first, and what physical loops taught him.
8 min · 1,842 words
Several months ago, I decided that AI contributions were no longer welcome in a FOSS project I am building and maintaining - LibreWeddingPlanner. It’s not that it got a lot of contributions with AI — actually all contributions I’ve had are translations and feature requests — but I wanted to avoid future drama and have a position against AI. However, although I was not using AI for my FOSS contributions, I kept using it at work. In my workplace, as well as in many of my developer friends’,…
10 min · 2,190 words
Crazy as it sounds to say this, since it’s all anybody’s been able to talk about for over a year, but the impact of AI on computing hasn’t yet sunk in.
6 min · 1,349 words
I Look, if you are still stuck on “AI cannot really think, it’s just a stochastic parrot”, please snap out of it and lock in, or you’ll keep repeating that line until you find yourself sitting in the corner chair, watching as ChatGPT™ has sex with your wife.
8 min · 1,856 words
LLM Policies: Progress At All Costs
Diego Escalante argues that GNOME and KDE LLM-policy debates are really about whether open-source communities will accept “progress at all costs,” and what values get traded away when AI tooling is waved through.
4 min · 1,003 words
On Ezra Klein’s Podcast With Jensen Huang
Zvi Mowshowitz annotates Ezra Klein’s interview with Jensen Huang: Huang downplays existential risk as “just software,” yet endorses safety standards that would shut down OpenAI and 10x safety spending.
33 min · 7,619 words
CS 240 Spring 2026 AI Retrospective
Purdue CS 240 instructor Jeffrey Turkstra reflects on Spring 2026 AI-assisted cheating cases: what went wrong in enforcement, what students actually did, and how academic integrity policy should change.
17 min · 3,997 words